Thursday, August 25, 2011

Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

Not sure exactly what jogged my memory and desire for this Tupperware recipe, but I decided to try it out again on our last camping trip.  I made this years ago when I was friendly with a local Tupperware distributor and thought my girls would be thrilled to know you can make a cake in the microwave.  I still use my Tupperware Microsteamer (shown below) for other purposes, so I packed it along for our trip to the Poconos.

If you happen to own a Tupperware Microsteamer, or are so intrigued by the recipe that you decide to purchase one, I've shared the recipe below.  As written, the recipe worked great on our camping trip.  Our hybrid travel trailer has a typical microwave.  I just made the cake at home and for future reference, I need to decrease the cooking time by a minute or so for my more-powerful home microwave.    


Microsteamer Pineapple Upside-Down Cake (for microwave cooking)

1 box - yellow cake mix
all ingredients required for cake mix
½ stick butter
½ cup - brown sugar
1 can pineapple rings
1 jar - maraschino cherries

1.  Melt butter in bottom section of Microsteamer in microwave (about 30 seconds).
2.  Crumble brown sugar over the melted butter.
3.  Drain pineapples, reserving juice for the cake mixture. Spread pineapple rings, in a single layer, over the brown sugar and butter. Add a maraschino cherry to the center of each pineapple ring.
4.  Prepare cake mix according to directions. Add water to the reserved pineapple juice to make the required amount of water for the cake mix.
5.  Pour cake mixture into the Microsteamer over the pineapples, cherries, brown sugar and butter mixture.
6.  Cover the Microsteamer and cook on high power in the microwave for 12 minutes.  If your microwave does not have a turntable, be sure to turn the Microsteamer a ½ turn after 6 minutes.  After cooking, let the cake stand, covered, in the microwave for an additional 5 minutes before removing.  Turn cake onto to a plate or cake tray and enjoy.

My family loves the cake slightly warm with a dollop of Cool Whip on top.  ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment